Virtual disk oversubscription is becoming increasingly common and so is allowing people to provision their own VMs. So increasing a datastore capacity is also an increasingly common operation. Because of the performance of flash, merged with ESXi features like VAAI ATS. Expanding a VMFS is easy. Expanding a storage volume these days is easy. But you still have to actually do it. What if I want to automate the process to respond to datastore capacity threshold limits? There are a variety of ways to achieve this. Let’s look at it via vCenter SNMP alerts and vRealize Orchestrator workflows. Continue reading “Automatic VMFS expansion with vCenter SNMP and vRealize Orchestrator”
Quick post. I have released the FlashArray Workflow Package for vRealize Orchestrator version 1.3. Not a huge update but a few changes/new features.
Last week I posted about getting started with the Python toolkit, now I wanted to go a little deeper today on using the toolkit beyond connecting/creating a volume. A question I have seen more than once is:
“okay, I understand connecting and getting basic information, but what if I want to pull statistics or more advanced information from the array besides what the default commands? The API glossary for the toolkit doesn’t say explicitly how I can get the information I want”
In short, just because the Python glossary doesn’t explicitly say how to do something or even if you can, it does not mean you can’t. It really depends on what the REST API can do.
Let me explain.
Pure Storage has an automation toolkit that helps get you started managing the FlashArray so you don’t have to deal with the direct REST work in your Python scripts. You can find information about that here:
Awhile back I wrote about performing an operation introduced in Purity 4.6 called protection group copy, which I really referred to as protection group recovery, which I think is maybe a more apt title.
Anyways, this feature is available in our REST API and our CLI (not yet in our GUI in a direct format) but is not yet built into our PowerShell SDK. I have seen more than one request for information on how to do this, and it certainly can be done without our official SDK and this is through the good ol’ Invoke-RestMethod cmdlet built into PowerShell. I’ve spoken about using this many times, here and here.
Let’s walk through it specifically with protection group restore.
Hey all. Just wanted to let you know there is an updated Pure Storage FlashArray Storage Replication Adapter now posted on VMware’s Site Recovery Manager compatibility guide:
New script to automatically create hosts groups on FlashArrays based on VMware ESXi clusters. This is a script I’ve had out for awhile but only recently revisited and realized it was way out of date and frankly, not very good. So I trashed most of it and re-wrote it. You can find it here:
It is pretty self-explanatory I suppose, but it’s good to review the finer points before you run it. Continue reading “FlashArray Host Group Creation PowerShell Script for VMware Clusters”
So we ran into a customer issue recently with VMware Site Recovery Manager that I have not seen before and have not found any on-point articles on, so I thought I’d share this one. Was an insidious one too, when troubleshooting this one I could not find the issue, eventually one of our rockstar escalation engineers at Pure (Jacob Hopkinson) figured it out after going through SRM debug logs line by line. Comes down to case sensitivity in iSCSI IQNs. I’ll explain…
I just released the 1.2 version of the Pure Storage FlashArray Workflow Package for vRealize Orchestrator. Like always, you can get this from GitHub:
If you haven’t looked at our vRO workflow package, check out my original post here:
While this isn’t a huge release in terms of new features, I think it is an important one because it adds (among others) one particularly important workflow. Translating a VMFS datastore object into a FlashArray volume name. Let’s take a look.
I’ve noticed I am beginning to have some blog post sprawl as I update my UNMAP script over and over so I will be using this post from now on to record future updates. Please use this post as the final word on what is new with my UNMAP Script.